Public health and hospitals being a State subject, the provision of healthcare services is the primary responsibility of the respective State/UT Governments. However, under National Health Mission (NHM) technical and financial support is provided to the States/U.Ts to strengthen their health systems, including support for projects/programmes under Public Private Partnership mode based on the requirements posed by the States/UTs in their Annual Programme Implementation Plans (PIP) within their overall resource envelop to achieve universal health coverage.
Towards this, based on consultation with States and other stakeholders, under NHM, Guidelines for provision of healthcare services under Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode have been circulated to the States/UTs for:
• Emergency Transport Services
• Mobile Medical Units Services
• Provision of Free Diagnostics Service Initiative (Free Pathological Services, Free Tele radiology Services, Free CT Scan Services)
• Biomedical Equipment Management Maintenance Programme
• National Dialysis Programme
• Provision of Hospital Waste management, segregation, treatment and disposal services in health facilities
• Management of the Health Facilities by NGOs under PPP mode
Further, after consultations with the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, States and other stakeholders and with the assistance of the World Bank Group, National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog has developed a draft Model Concessionaire Agreement (MCA) for the provision of prevention and treatment services for non-communicable diseases (Cardiovascular diseases, Oncology and Pulmonary Sciences) at the district level, especially in Tier 2 & 3 cities, to bring advanced healthcare systems where there is clear unmet need. The States have the flexibility to adopt or not to adopt and to customize the model document before rolling out the initiative as well as to decide the strata of society to be provided services free of cost.
The Minister of State (Health and Family Welfare), Sh Faggan Singh Kulaste stated this in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha here today.