The Minister of State (I/C) for Youth Affairs and Sports Shri Vijay Goel said in the Lok Sabha today that North Eastern Region, SAI is implementing the following sports promotional schemes to identify talented sports persons in the age groups ranging from 8-25 years and nurture them to excel at national and international competitions across the country:
· National Sports Talent Contest Scheme (NSTC)
· Army Boys Sports Company (ABSC)
· SAI Training Centre (STC)
· Special Area Games (SAG)
· Extension Centre of STC/SAG
· Centre of Excellence (CoE)
· National Sports Academies (NSA)
In a written reply he said, further to strengthen the ongoing schemes of SAI in the North Eastern Region, SAI has decided to operationalize its SAG Centre at Churachandpur, Manipur and to identify more number of sports persons from North East, SAI has decided to upgrade or establish the following Centres in the North Eastern Region :
· Shifting of existing STC Shillong to North Eastern Hill University, Shillong where international standard sports infrastructure has been created.
· Establishment of SAG Centre at Solal Gaon, North Lakhimpur, Assam
· Relocation of the existing STC at Dimapur on land provided by the State Government.
As a matter of fact, considering the nature and topography of North Eastern States, large number of sports person men and women in various sports discipline participate in the international level competitions and bring laurels for the country.
Moreover, a Scheme called “Khelo India – National Programme for Development of Sports” is being implemented by this Ministry as a Central Sector Scheme from the financial year 2016-17. This Scheme provides for creation of sports infrastructure facilities, namely, Synthetic Athletic Track, Synthetic Hockey Field, Synthetic Turf Football Ground, Multipurpose hall, Swimming pool and construction of stadia complex, holding of sports competitions in two age groups of (i) under 14 and (ii) under 17 all over India to encourage mass participation of both boys and girls in Sports in both urban and rural areas and identification of talented sportspersons, etc., all over the country including North Eastern Region (NER).