Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has formulated the Special Accelerated Road Development Programme for North East (SARDP-NE) for North Eastern Region and Sikkim.
The scheme, SARDP-NE was formulated with the following objectives:
· Up-gradation of National Highways connecting State Capitals to 2/ 4 lane;
· Providing connectivity to 88 District Headquarter towns of NER by at least 2-lane road;
· Providing road connectivity to backward and remote areas of NE region to boost socio - economic development;
· Improving roads of strategic importance in border areas;
· Improving connectivity to neighbouring countries.
The total amount allocated during the financial year 2015-16 for the projects/schemes under SARDP-NE was Rs.4900.00 crore, against which expenditure was Rs.4850.00 crore.
This was stated by the Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr. Jitendra Singh in written reply to a question by Shrimati Ranee Narah in the Rajya Sabha today.